Why? They’re so outdated , and can be spammed, why then? Well yes they are outdated and can be spammed, but No.
Because, they are one of the finest methods of letting search engines know the relevancy and appropriateness of your link. Yes ofcourse, over time there’s a huge possibility that the method of acquiring these backlinks would go a big change, just as it has already gone.
Well still there always will be ways to acquire them, naturally, in a Google positive way that will take your SERP to another level, and that’s what I’ll be discussing in this article.
No wait, there isn’t a chance that I’ll be talking about commenting on other blogs, oh no not guest posts either.
- Strategies I’ll be Covering:-
- 1. HARO
- 2. Shifted Domains Method
- 3. .edu backlinks
- 4. ScoopIt
- 5. GraphicMarketing
- 6. Google+ Profile
- 7. Blog Aggregators
- 8. WebSite Feedback platforms
- 9. Roundups
- 10. Roundup Parts 2
- 11. BuzzSumo Strategy
- How to get it all done:-
Strategies I’ll be Covering:-
Shifted Domains Method
Scoop.it ( and it’s extreme potential )
Roundups Part 2.
Brian Dean first introduced me to this method, and since then I’ve ventured into HARO and trust me it works like charm. The reason of me using the above image is, to give you a clear idea of just how extremely powerful HARO is.
What do you have to do? Just invest couple minutes of your daily time to it, HARO is technically the full form of Help a Reporter out.
Why you need HARO links? Well they’re extremely powerful, as HARO is not used by just any blogger, but instead content managers and editors of the big guns like Forbes, Inc.com , buisnessInsider etc.
And here’s how efficient it is to use HARO to generate quality backlinks-
How to get Haro links:-
- Sign up to a HARO website.
- Now wait, expect couple emails to land in your email. Check your inbox exactly at (5:35 a.m., 12:35 p.m. and 5:35 p.m. ET), and try to filter out those emails which are relevant to your niche.
- The report might be looking out for certain detailed answers, or just fast tips on how to do couple things. For eg. it might be like “how to cook food faster” or “how to index a blogpost” ( yes it’s that simple ).
- Now just pitch the email sender an awesome, detailed answer. ( Need help? Here’s how to do it)
- If it’s good, you’re going to get totally natural awesome quality backlinks, totally free.
2. Shifted Domains Method
This is one of the most effective strategies and so it might be a bit long so bear with me.
You must know there are sites that change their domain names, and move to another one over time , right?
The best example would be seomoz.com moved to moz.com .
Also, we can look sites that no longer are offering a certain service, or sites that are completely shut down.
What we will be doing:-
- Finding a shifted / shutdown domain.
- Finding contextual links to it.
- Notifying the owner of it.
How to find Potential Rebranded domains:-
- Head over to prweb.com ( It’s a PR portal, where a lot of companies, from all the niches, tend to announce their domain shift, or rebrand ).
- In the search box type terms like Rebranded, Domain shift , changed domains etc.
Now you’ve found domains that rebranded or shifted, right?
- We need the inbound links to the expired, or “not in use” domain. For that let’s use aherf ( Ofcourse you can use anything else ).
- Key in the expired domain and click on “links”. You will get results similar to below screenshot.
- Okay so you got the domains which are still pointing to the outdated domain, right? Now let’s get to work.
As I said in the very starting of this post, it wont be about guest posting or commenting, but emails are a crucial part of this guide. So here’s what I’ll do ( and you should do ) after finding the links to the expired domains.
Find the contact page of the domain from which you want the backlink. I’m taking the example of the 4th result, ie. barnraiersllc.com. And here’s how easy it was. I just hit the site, and their the contact page was , all live and beautiful looking.
So I pitch this email to them:- ( It’s always better if you use a professional email during pitching this , something like email@example.com , it has a more professional outlook and thus your chances of getting linked back increase ).
And here’s what I got back from them:-
See the power ? Here’s why they linked back to me:-
- I got them a heads up to a broken link. It’s a direct favor isn’t it not?
- And my post was valuable to them.
What I got in return:-
- A free Awesome high quality backlink.
- Free Social Share from them.
Still if you aren’t using this strategy, I don’t know how to convince you.
I’m pretty sure you know .edu backlinks contribute a huge amount towards your SERP, right?
And you also know that it’s not easy to get them, so let me make the process a little easier for you. You can get .edu backlinks from .edu portals , and that too without paying a penny.
Using Resource pages.
What are Resource pages? They are a collection of sites and people, who had helped those sites in any possible way.
Here’s an example of a .edu resource page.
How to get it to work for you:-
- First of all, you need to find .edu resource pages right? So here’s how to do it. Head over to Google and use of the below strings:-
site:.edu “your keyword” + “resources”
site:.edu: “your keyword” + inurl:links
- That should get you a list of relevant resource pages, from .edu sites in your niche. ( Refer to the above screenshot ).
- Now it’s a good way to go by mailing the universities or portals, and showing them your link, in a polite manner which might be helpful to them. For eg let’s say you’ve awesome content on Content Marketing, if it’s really good, they won’t hesitate to link back.
- Finding their contact page:- when you land on a Resource page, look for a “contact us” page link. 99% of the times, it’ available on the page itself. For eg in this screenshot, here it is –
Now see I used the keyword: Web design to find this resource page, so if you have an awesome guide or page on the same topic, pitch them an email telling them about your content. Make sure you point out why it’s unique and valuable for them, and that it’s not just another post on the internet.
For the Email template, take a look at strategy #9 of this article, keep it similar and get your creativity and intellect to work.
This method has a “lower” success rate as compared to HARO or other strategies used in this article, but even if you mail 20 portals, and only 2 link back to you, trust me those 2 links are all you need to boost your rankings.
You’ve definitely heard a lot of buzz for Scoop It. Let me get you a better, precise picture of what it is:-
There are content curators, for eg. I’m a curator, I’ll have some followers right? ( 10-20, 10,000-20,000 kindaa) . So when I scoop a link, I’m exposing the link to all my followers and thus a lot of direct hits.
Not only that, a lot of those followers are likely to link back to my article, if it really has the quality everyone keeps talking about.
Here’s how to use it to your benefit:-
What exactly do you have to do? You have to get people, with lot’s of followers, to Scoop your article.
How to get people to Scoop your article:-
The prime goal of using Scoopit is, getting direct traffic & Getting linked back.
So just explore your niche , and message the guy about your content. Well, this is another aspect where quality plays a major role, sure the guy would love to share your article ( and they most often do , I mean why wouldn’t they? ) but the content quality really needs to be awesome, detailed and informative.
The scoopit profiles have a Facebook or/and a twitter handle attached on the profile itself, a good place to connect isn’t it?
Connect with the person, and show him your article. If it’s good, it’s going to be shared, period. Just to explain out this strategy to you guys, I went out on a limb and executed it myself , and I got a nice descent linkback and share from Scoop Itself. ( Totally worth the time, is it not? ).
Once they share it, it’s not just the links you’re getting, it’s also the tons of direct traffic you’ll be grabbing and that makes all the difference.
Infographics get lots of shares, and backlinks. Period.
Who has the time to read through all of your 3000 word long article? Instead an infographic offers them all the points, on a platter.
Yes, you can’t write a detailed post on it, but if the reader is smart enough he can make heads and tails of the article from the Infographic itself.
And obviously, hitting the “share” button for your infographic is a lot more easier, then copying and pasting your 3000 words long article on their social media accounts right?
That being said, let me move to how to curate high quality backlinks from infographics-
- First of all, create an infographic. No it’s not extremely hard, infact you can use awesome free tools like Canva and PiktoChart to get professional looking premium infographics in minutes .
- Now get to these sites :- visual.ly dailyinfographics , amazinginfographics and submit your Infographics.
So you’ve created an Infographic, and submitted on those major sites?
Now let’s grab the Links:-
- Start by this query in google :- ” keyword + Infographic “. ( Replace keyword with the keyword, or topic on which you’ve created the infographic ).
- It will get you a list of blogs who are interested, or have published infographics at their blogs.
- Now just get to their contact page. ( 99% blogs tend to have it by default ).
Pitching the Email:-
Take care of the following factors while pitching the email, and they’d readily link back to you:-
- Don’t start out by directly asking for a Linkback.
- Ask for a suggestion, or a review ( give them the upperhand . )
- Tell them why they should like it. ( Yes sometimes you’ve to make people see what they won’t normally look at . )
- Keep it short.
Here’s a template that has worked for me and has leveraged me 35+ High DA backlinks, and should work for you too :-
Hey [ Site Owner ].
Was recently reading your InfoGraphic on [ topic ], on the blog [ post link ].
One of the best infographics I’ve ever seen in regards to Design and information. Already shared on my social media profile ( And I’m glad, because it was totally worth it ).
Just sending you the email to let you know that your work is really influencing a lot of people like me. So a Big thanks to you for the selfless service.
( Don’t laugh ) but I too tried creating an infographic on the [ topic ] , and ofcourse I’m nowhere near your experience or knowledge . Would you take a look at [ infogrphic image , or link ] and let me know how can I improve it?
Just points or basic sentences are also most welcome.
Thanks[ Your Name ]
Now, this email won’t get you a backlink I’m sure of that. Well, that was exactly the goal. Establish the contact, once the owner replies, edit your infographic and make it up to his likings. ( So see, he already told you what kind of infographic he is interested in , without even knowing about it . )
And then, send him the final results again, and this time you can put a small sentence like:- Ofcourse the quality of the infographic goes to you, it was your advice that let me hit the perfect pitch. Will you like to have it on your blog? Yes I’ll write a unique descriptive post along with it, just as a courtesy.
TRUST Me, this always works. It makes the owner feel like he owns the infographic, but you’re getting what you want, the backlink from the infographic and the mention on the blog right? Goal accomplished .
Another Reason to be using Infographics :-
Infographics aren’t text-based articles. So you can use the same infographic, on different blogs, and the same email template to generate a lot of backlinks from the same infographic.
Just make sure:-
- The infographic is really qualitative, informative and with a good design.
- Also that you write unique description for all the different blogs and not the same.
6. Google+ Profile
7. Blog Aggregators
And guess what? It’s extremely easy to get a do follow backlink from most Blog Aggregators like AllTop or Stumbleupon.
It works like verifying your domain ownership with google analytic, I’ll share how to get do follow backlinks from AllTop here.
- Login to your allTop account. ( Or create one, it’s easy ).
- Go to the Submit Page.
- Choose a Top that best describes your blog.
- And submit your blog URL simple. ( Wasn’t as hard, see? ).
I’m sure you can do it all by yourselves, the only problem you might face is with the blog feed , and here’s how to generate it for your blog:-
- http://example.com/?feed=rss – This is the standard WordPress Rss Feed URL. Just replace Example.com with your own domain. If you are using a /blog subdirectory, then use yourblog.com/blog/?feed=rss.
AllTop provides Do follow backlinks, and it’s a great SERP boost for your blog. So what’s your reason for not going with it?
8. WebSite Feedback platforms
What if I say you can get backlinks as well as quality feedback both for your blog, free of cost?
Excited? Yup then keep reading.
These sites are designed to “exchange reviews” . Meaning, you can review other sites, and in return can get yourselves reviewed. And the reviews are listed with a dofollow link. No harm in sharing little knowledge, is there?
How to get yourself reviewed with a backlink-
- Proceed to criticue.
- Submit your Site URL, and an automated Screenshot would be generated, and reviewed. ( See? It’s all automated. )
(Although I’d suggest manually taking a screenshot ( using any tool, or the prntscr key on the keyboard and uploading it on Criticue, it works better. )
- After review they’d be automatically updated to different sections like the below screenshot.
Some other sites to get Free high Authority Backlinks:-
What’s a roundup? A roundup is a collection of different opinions.
What if I could get you access to a links roundup? Well a roundup, where people would link back to you, willingly, in-text?
Oh yeah that’s possible. ( Too good to be true, isn’t it? )
Go to Google and search for the following:-
“niche or keyword” + “link roundup”
“niche or keyword” + roundup
“niche or keyword” + “best of”
That should get you a roundup post, where the owner linked to different articles. Just grab his contact info from the “about us” or “about the author” section or the contact us page.
Another awesome method to find Link roundups-
- Go to DropMyLink.
- Put your email and complete the signup Process. And you’ll be redirected to a page similar to this:-
- Now key in your Keyword in the box, and select link roundups
- And it will get you a list of Awesome high DA resource pages, matching exactly your keyword.
Pitch him and email, a good one. Or wait, I’ll just make it easy for you, feel free to directly use the following email template:-
Hey [Owner name]
I’m [ your name ], from [ site link ].
I just read your link roundup [ roundup link ].
Awesome roundup, a bucket of knowledge all at one place.
Although would you have the time to checkout my recent article [ article link ], on the topic [ topic ]. ?
I believe your round ups are one of the perfectest places for the exposure.
And, keep up the good work, you’re doing awesome.
Most of them, would link. And those who won’t, atleast reply back. Don’t loose hopes yet, take it easy. After some days , pitch them another email with a better article. This time, as there already is a connection between you and them, your chances of being linked increases a lot.
10. Roundup Parts 2
Link roundups aren’t the only kind of roundups. Participating in a variety of different roundups can get you quality, in-text backlinks too.
How about some real life examples before starting, to give you an idea about how powerful this strategy is?
I was contacted by Philip over Facebook ( Yes Social media has huge potential if you know how to use it well ) , with this message:
After that I replied to his question, and so I got a sweet little backlink from Philip . But it’s not always the case, and not with everybody.
The point is, why would someone want to reach out to you and include you in their roundup. Well probably they won’t ! So you’ve to take the first step.
Step 1 : How to find Roundups:-
I’ll list some of the keyword, just put them in Google and you’ll get a big list of roundups in your niche.
” Expert [ keyword ] roundup”.
” list of experts share their [ keyword ] experience “.
This will get you a result of roundups conducted by different bloggers.
Now I head over to one of the results, and try to find a contact page. ( Well yes, the strategy will almost be the same as in Shifted Domains, with just a different tone and language ).
On blogs, of these kind, it’s also advisable to go with the “comment box” , because the blogs have an active comment board and they mostly get noticed and replied back to.
The right way to comment for a roundup proposal:-
Before proceeding further, try to add a link back to the round-up post from any of your relevant articles. You can easily do so, by finding a roundup related to for eg. Content Marketing niche, and edit one of your content marketing posts with a link to that roundup.
DONT include a “website link” in the comment box. This way it clearly tells the owner that you’re not spamming for just another comment back-link, and rather that your comment is authentic and worth his time.
Hey [ Site owner ].
Awesome collection, as I’m in the same industry the post was extremely helpful and informative.
Infact I already linked back to it from [ your post link ]. It’s definitely worth it.
Although I recently published a post on the same topic, would you have the time to take a look at it? Here’s the link [ post link ].
I’d love to hear your feedback as you’re already immersed in experience on the field. Might be a good addition to the roundup maybe ?
Cheers[ Your name ]
Trust me, if your post is of good quality, the owner is bound to include it in his roundup.
Why would they linkup-
- Because you gave them a quality feedback.
- Because he just got a free backlink.
- Because updating their roundup is definitely one of their own strategies to rank the post higher.
11. BuzzSumo Strategy
BuzzSumo is an instant way to get notified, when someone mentions ( even without a link ) about you or your blog.
So here’s how to use it to your own benifit to curate some really high DA backlinks, free of cost.
- Head over to BuzzSumo
- Create your free account, or login.
- Move to the “monitoring” section.
- In the comparison box, key in your domain name or Blog name. This will give you all the mentions where the people mentioned about your blog.
- For Eg. i’m keying in “Jeff Bullas”. ( Just an example ) . And here’s What I get.
Jeff Bullas is just an example, to better explain the strategy to you.
For eg. if it’s your domain you’ve searched for and you see yourself mentioned like the above screenshot, trust me you just found a gold mine of high DA backlinks. ( Why ? No matter what, an in-text backlink always carries awesome weight .)
Okay so now just head over to the link which mentioned you, and you can use the comment box for this next step. ( Comments will work too because, if they have mentioned you, they’d ofcourse checkout your comment on the post ).
Here’s how I’d go about curating the backlink from them:-
Hey [ Admin name],
I’m honored to be mentioned in the article, thanks a lot for taking the time to do so.
And even without the mention the post has a lot of informational points so just saying, you’re doing awesome.
Just wondering, could you possibly link the mention to by blog [ blog link ] . It will be helpful to your readers to better understand your reference.
Anyway Thanks, and keep up the good work.
[ Your Name ].
Trust me, this is one of the easiest way to get in-text backlinks. Because there’s nothing much you have to do manually, but rather just leave a comment, as you’re already mentioned so it won’t be much of a problem. And 99% of the times, the owners would love to link back to you.
How to get it all done:-
It’s hard, tiring and exhausting to complete it all by yourself, and within a definite time frame. ( Also if you’re lazy. ).
But do you think Sundar Pichai ( CEO | Google ) , or Mark Zuckerburg ( Founder | Facebook ) do all that is to be done on Google or Facebook, by themselves?
They have people to help them out, and similarly you can take people as you VA’s ( Virtual Assistants ) . So where to get them from? Here are the World Leading platforms that will enable you to get Content Writers, Social Media managers, or even just backlink creators for your blog.
Just hit up any of the above platforms, and you’re sure to find a lot of VA’s who’re willing to work for you.
The above mentioned tactics were not the traditional “guest post” or “comment and win” kinda strategies, so as you might have imagined, you DO need to push your efforts up a bit.
Emailing, contacting and creating accounts is not such a hard task compared to the quality of backlinks you’d be getting.
For eg. If you have really AWESOME content, you can even ask Neil Patel to provide you an intext link, and trust me he readily does, the only thing that matters for all of the above strategies, is content.
The days when people just linked to awesome content are gone. You have to get out, and get yourself linked. And for that, you’ve to make sure that you really have quality articles worth linking to.
If it’s providing value, it will be linked to. Either automatically or you’d have to ask for it but in either case the quality content is the king .
I’d love to hear your thoughts on the strategies, and your results if you’ve implemented any of them, trust me I learn a lot from your comments.